The Best Winter Getaway Destinations in Alaska
While many people think of prohibitively cold temperatures and limited daylight when they think about wintertime in Alaska, there is actually a great deal of recreational activities that you can participate in during the winter months. From snowshoeing across beautiful snowy landscapes to sitting outside and catching a glimpse of the breathtaking aurora borealis on a winter night, your options when it comes to recreation in Alaska during the winter are many. If you’re unsure about how you should spend your trip in Alaska, here are a few amazing opportunities to experience the beauty and rich history of this breathtaking place during the winter season:
- Tour Denali: Formerly known as Mount McKinley, Denali is the tallest peak in North America, rising to a staggering 20,310 feet. You can enjoy a guided tour of Denali during the winter and find out how the wildlife and plants that live there are able to thrive during the cold winter months.
- Travel by train: The Alaskan Railroad winds through some of the most breathtaking scenery that can be found anywhere in the world. You can travel throughout the state by train, making stops along the way to tour some of the most popular sites in Alaska. Looking out the train window, you are likely to observe wildlife such as caribou, moose and even bears. The main line of the railroad is over 500 miles in length, so there is plenty of ground for you to cover by rail.
- Capture photos of the aurora borealis: The aurora borealis, or Northern Lights as it’s commonly known, is one of the most breathtaking natural phenomenon to be observed anywhere in the world. In the winter, your chance of capturing this sight in a photograph is much higher, since skies are usually less cloudy, giving you a clearer image.
- Try out dogsledding: In Alaska, dogsledding is an exciting sport that dozens of trained mushers compete in each year. You can get your chance to experience the thrill of this adventurous sport firsthand with a dogsledding tour provided by an experienced musher.
- Fishing charters: Alaska is famous for, among other things, its rich array of fish. You can get your chance to venture into the Alaskan wilderness and snag an incredible catch of your own on a fishing charter. Fishing trips in Alaska are a popular choice even for people who have never been on the water before. You can receive instruction from professionals so that you have the best chance of catching something worth writing home about.
No matter what your specific plans may be in the great state of Alaska, make sure that you plan time to embark on an unforgettable fishing trip. At Phantom Tri-River Charters, we have over 20 years of experience providing beginners and experienced anglers alike with the opportunity to catch some of the incredible fish that Alaska is famous for. If you’re planning a trip this winter, you can enjoy fishing trips in Alaska from the comfort of our covered and heated boats. Contact us today to get more information and plan your trip!